It couldn’t actually happen… could it?
A rumour linking Mesut Ozil with a free transfer move to Manchester United next summer emerged from the Arsenal star’s homeland in September, and now there are reports Ozil will snub Arsenal’s contract offer and wants to join Jose Mourinho at Old Trafford.
It would be a move so seismic, it’s hard to believe it’s a possibility… but in many ways, it kind of makes sense.
Mourinho managed Ozil at Real Madrid, there is a clear mutual respect between the two of them , and it might just be a deal that suits all parties. All parties except Arsenal, of course.
But what would happen if the quite sensational free transfer did take place?
Well, these seven things.
1. Manchester United fans would immediately regret a *lot* of tweets they’ve sent over the years
2. Ozil would go from being seen as a lazy, luxury player to a Mourinho-type workhorse overnight, even growing a couple of inches somehow
3. United fans would suddenly become obsessed with “pre-assists” – (it’s the assist before the assist, yeah, and Ozil is great at them, does them all the time, ask literally any Arsenal fan and they’ll tell you. At length.)
4. Affected by the loss of one of the players they enjoy ranting about the most, Arsenal Fan TV’s viewing figures suffer a severe drop
5. After giving his number 9 shirt up for Zlatan Ibrahimovic last summer, Anthony Martial will have to hand over his number 11 shirt too
6. Back at Arsenal – where they’re also set to lose Alexis Sanchez on a free transfer next summer as it stands – Arsene Wenger’s attempts to claim that everything is “FINE! JUST FINE!” would leave him coming across like Comical Ali
7. And having got another one over his old nemesis, Mourinho’s broad, smug smile would be even broader and smugger than usual
8. With Sanchez also leaving, there will never be a better time to be Alex Iwobi
9. Conversely, losing his Manchester United place to Ozil might make Juan Mata sad for the very first time
10. And as for Ozil himself, he can look forward to a new life of being United’s headline-grabbing, world-class new attacking midfield addition for whom absolutely nothing can go wrong…
Could the move really happen though?
Should Manchester United sign Mesut Ozil on a free transfer next summer?
23000+ VOTES SO FAR