Mesut Ozil is one of five January targets to fill the playmaker role at Barcelona, according to reports.
The midfielder remains in talks with Arsenal over a new contract but he could be the subject of a bid from Barca in January.
According to Marca, Ozil is alongside four other names on Barcelona’s wish list to fill that role – and he is the biggest name on the list, which does not include Philippe Coutinho.
Schalke duo Max Meyer and Leon Goretzka feature on the list of potential signings alongside Lyon sensation Nabil Fekir and CSKA Moscow’s Aleksandr Golovin.
Arsenal reportedly remain confident that they can keep Ozil until the end of the season.
Gunners put on red alert for Atletico Madrid ace
Carrasco has managed 90 minutes in La Liga just twice this season – in Atleti’s opening two matches.
The talented 24-year-old has been a key man for Los Rojiblancos in the last two seasons, even scoring the equaliser in the 2016 Champions League final.
But according to AS, the Belgian has proven himself a divisive figure at the Wanda Metropolitano this term, and with the arrival of Spain international Vitolo next month, is surplus to requirements.
Carrasco’s talent isn’t in question, and he has attracted interest from Arsenal, Chelsea and Bayern Munich previously.
However he has reportedly been involved in a number of dressing room bust-ups during 2017, falling out with teammates Koke and Gabi, as well as the club’s fitness coach, Oscar Ortega.
Now Simeone has accepted that a parting of the ways is best, having already secured a deal to land ex-Sevilla star Vitolo – who due to Atleti’s transfer ban has spent the first half of the season on loan at Las Palmas.
The news is likely to be of interest to Arsene Wenger, who has had Carrasco watched before and admitted on Wednesday that he is prepared to spend in January if necessary.
“In the transfer window I will be busy,” said Wenger. “Clubs will contact us to buy and loan players and I will be open to any possibilities to strengthen our team.”
Wenger: Wilshere ‘will want to stay’ at Arsenal
Arsene Wenger reckons Jack Wilshere wants to stay at Arsenal despite uncertainty over his future, writes Matt Lawless .
The England midfielder, 25, is out of contract at the end of the season.
After forcing his way back into the Gunners starting XI, however, Wenger has confirmed that he will hold talks with the star.
West Ham and AC Milan have both been linked with Wilshere.
But Frenchman Wenger believes it is purely a question of finance as to whether Wilshere will stay at the Emirates beyond next summer.
“We will sit down with him,” said Wenger, addressing a question over the former Bolton and Bournemouth loanee’s future.
“I believe if he can meet a point of agreement financially, he will want to stay.”
Wilshere is determined to play regular first team football with the prospect of representing England at next summer’s World Cup.
England chief Gareth Southgate hasn’t slammed the door on the Gunner and plans to monitor the midfielder in the second half of the season.
Wilshere won the last of his 34 caps for England in the ill-fated defeat by Iceland in the last 16 of Euro 2016 in France.
He has not been picked for any of Southgate’s squads – but the England boss hasn’t ruled out a Three Lions return.
That will depend on Wilshere proving his fitness and an ability to play consistently.
Southgate insists he won’t take anyone who may be an injury risk.