A woman was horrified after finding a ‘parasitic worm’ swimming around her sauce which she claims came from fish bought at Waitrose.
While Katie Boswell was preparing food for herself and her boyfriend on Sunday October 14, she decided to let the sauce cool so the raw fish would begin to cook before being placed in the oven.
To her horror, the commercial administrator says she spotted a transparent creature wriggling around in the creamy sauce touching the pieces of cod loin.
Katie says as soon as she found the parasite, she pulled the worm from the mixture and placed it in a glass where it had shrivelled up and died by Monday October 15.
Since the experience with the fish, which was bought via Ocado on the previous Wednesday October 11, Katie has been unable to eat any fish or meat.
Katie, from Bishop’s Stortford, Herts, said: “When I spotted the worm it made me feel so ill I was on the verge of tears.
“I was so relieved I noticed it before cooking as it makes you wonder what other things you have eaten and not noticed.
“I haven’t had one piece of meat or fish since because I am extremely squeamish and can’t stomach myself to have any at all.
“The night it happened I only managed to stomach a cheese sandwich and a packet of quavers I’m the evening as I felt so awful and still do.”
After spotting the worm, Katie contacted both Ocado and Waitrose through social media.
Katie said: “Ocado refunded us the items used in the dinner.
“However, I tweeted Waitrose with the videos and put them on Instagram but have yet to receive a reply.
“I spoke with their customer service who said they would speak with their social media team for an update.
“This was Monday and I still have heard absolutely nothing.
“The most irritating thing is I can see them replying to Tweets on much more trivial matters.
“If they had acknowledged the tweet saying they were looking into it would have been acceptable.”
Katie claims she even asked Waitrose if they wanted to look at the parasite to assess what it was but her offer was surprisingly declined.
Katie said: “They told me it was fine and that they could identify it from the video which I found extremely surprising and unlikely that you can tell exactly what it is without assessing it.
“To me it looks like one of the ones that could live in your stomach.”
A spokesperson for Waitrose said: “We’re sorry for any concern which may have been caused and will be in touch with Katie about this.”