Barcelona icon Hristo Stoichkov has urged the Spanish giants to avoid re-signing Neymar this summer, believing the Brazilian would be “a bomb inside the locker room”.
Neymar left the Nou Camp club for Paris-Saint Germain back in 2017, in a world record £189million switch, but is keen on a return to Barca before the European summer transfer window slams shut on September 2.
However the Brazil forward’s widely expected summer return to Spain has not yet materialised, and while PSG chief Leonardo recently admitted there had been talks between sides, there has been no progress.
And despite the fact that Barca are seemingly desperate to sign the wantaway PSG star for a second time, former Barca forward Stoichkov feels Neymar would be a toxic addition to the dressing room.
He told Univision : ” Barcelona does not need Neymar.
“He has no place because there are already important players. There is [Ousmane] Dembele, Griezmann, [Luis] Suarez and[Lionel] Messi.
“Where is he going to play? He would be a bomb inside the locker room. For my part, I don’t want him to come back.
“Sure, there is a group of players who want him to return and ask the president to make an effort, but Barca will not spend a single euro bringing back because they have no money to pay PSG.”
Stoichkov’s somewhat controversial comments come after PSG sporting director Leonardo admitted Barca’s pursuit of Neymar is at a standstill.
“There are negotiations with clubs, as everyone knows,” Leonardo told RMC Sport.
“But nothing has advanced.”
Neymar has been recovering from a foot injury which saw him miss the end of last season.
The forward broke the fifth metatarsal in his right foot but Leonardo said he is now fully healed.
“It’s simple. The medical team and the best surgeons in the world were looking after Neymar from the start of the season,” the 49-year-old said.
“The fracture to the fifth metatarsal has healed. Neymar’s injury is completely fixed.”