City in Japan proposes new law banning phone use while walking

- Advertisement -

Must Read

Anthony Joshua’s heartbreaking explanation for never allowing his son to box

Anthony Joshua is one of the most successful boxers in the world - but nothing is more important to him than...

Epsom Derby and Oaks tips: Vatican City and Love among Newsboy’s Saturday selections

VATICAN CITY is the answer to punters’ prayers in the Investec Derby (4.55) at Epsom today. Thanks to the coronavirus...

Man Utd transfer round up: Bennacer on radar as young Ghana striker is watched

Manchester United have been in imperious form since the Premier League restart. Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s side are unbeaten in 15 matches...

Chelsea transfer target Kai Havertz ‘can go this summer’ says Bayer Leverkusen chief

Chelsea transfer target Kai Havertz has an agreement with Bayer Leverkusen that he can leave this summer, according to the club's...
- Advertisement -

Pedestrians could be banned from looking at their phones while walking under new laws being proposed by a city in Japan.

Politicians in Yamato, about 25 miles southwest of Tokyo, have put forward a bill that could make it illegal for people to gaze at their devices while walking.

The bill was submitted to the city’s assembly on 1 June. If passed, the law would come into effect from 1 July.


Officials said that people were unlikely to be punished for flouting the proposed new measures.

Instead, the law has been designed to keep pedestrians safe when crossing roads, officials added.

People are being encouraged to use their devices while standing in a spot where they are unlikely to pose a hindrance to others passing by.

Yamato officials said that increasing smartphone use in the city and across Japan more broadly has led to rising numbers of road traffic accidents.

In 2014, Japanese telecoms firm NTT Docomo ran a computer simulation of what might occur if 1,500 people used the busy Shibuya pedestrian crossing in Tokyo while all looking at their smartphones.

Results from the study showed that around 66 per cent of people would not make it to the other side without incident.

The simulation predicted that there would be 446 collisions, with 103 people getting knocked down while 21 others dropped their phones.

A separate 2020 study by researchers at the University of Calgary in Canada published in the BMJ journal suggested that “distraction injuries” are now a significant problem due to smartphone use.

Lead author Dr Sarah Simmons wrote: “Given the ubiquity of smartphones, social media, apps, digital video and streaming music, which has infiltrated most aspects of daily life, distracted walking and street crossing will be a road safety issue for the foreseeable future.”



Source link

Comments

0 comments

- Advertisement -

Latest Update

COVID-19: Akeredolu, deputy spar over handing over of governorship seat

The governor of Ondo State, Rotimi Akeredolu, and his deputy, Agboola Ajayi, have disagreed over running of the state’s affairs following the current...

Frank Lampard provides update on Willian’s future as contract talks rumble on

In-form Chelsea forward Willian’s contract talks are ongoing, Frank Lampard has revealed. The 31-year-old Brazilian agreed a short-term deal last month...

What should I do with old electronic devices?

I found laptops and cameras in a lockdown clearout and am wondering if they can be put to good useEvery week a Guardian Money...

Police rescue 10-year-old from guardian who inflicted bodily harm on her in Enugu

The Police Command in Enugu State has rescued a 10-year-old minor (name withheld) from a guardian who battered and inflicted grievous harm on...
- Advertisement -

More Post Like This

Comments

0 comments