Jurgen Klopp ‘calls Kalidou Koulibaly’ to lay out his plans ahead of transfer window

- Advertisement -

Must Read

Anthony Joshua’s heartbreaking explanation for never allowing his son to box

Anthony Joshua is one of the most successful boxers in the world - but nothing is more important to him than...

Epsom Derby and Oaks tips: Vatican City and Love among Newsboy’s Saturday selections

VATICAN CITY is the answer to punters’ prayers in the Investec Derby (4.55) at Epsom today. Thanks to the coronavirus...

Man Utd transfer round up: Bennacer on radar as young Ghana striker is watched

Manchester United have been in imperious form since the Premier League restart. Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s side are unbeaten in 15 matches...

Chelsea transfer target Kai Havertz ‘can go this summer’ says Bayer Leverkusen chief

Chelsea transfer target Kai Havertz has an agreement with Bayer Leverkusen that he can leave this summer, according to the club's...
- Advertisement -


Jurgen Klopp has reportedly made contact with Napoli defender Kalidou Koulibaly over a move to Anfield this summer.

The Liverpool boss is said to have called Koulibaly to outline his plans for the next 12-18 months.

Included in the discussion was how Klopp sees the centre-back slotting into his lineup alongside Virgil van Dijk.

Reports have already suggested Klopp has taken a similar approach with Red Bull Leipzig striker Timo Werner as he looks to add to his squad ahead of a potential title defence next season.

Koulibaly, 28, has been heavily linked with a move to the Premier League, with Newcastle also interested in landing his signature.

Klopp is said to have called Koulibaly to discuss his Liverpool plans

But according to Le10 Sport, Klopp has made the first move, and Koulibaly has been flattered by Liverpool’s interest.

Such a move seems unlikely this summer, given that Napoli would command a huge fee for their star defender.

Koulibaly is rated at around £90million, though his club could be prepared to accept a lower bid in the current economic climate, with a fee of £65m being mooted.

Even so, that is a significant financial outlay for Liverpool, who are already refusing to meet Werner’s release clause at Leipzig.

Mirror Football reported that Liverpool are prepared to turn their backs on a move for the German striker.

Werner has a £52million release clause, but Liverpool now value him at just £30m in light of the recent pandemic.

Read More

Mirror Football’s Top Stories

However any hopes of sealing a cut-price deal have been rejected by Leipzig chief executive Oliver Mintzlaff, who says the club won’t be held to ransom.

“It won’t get any cheaper. We will not sell a player below value if he is under contract for more than a year,” Mintzlaff told Sport Bild, via Goal.com.

Napoli are likely to take a similar stance with Koulibaly, who is still under contract until 2023, making a transfer this summer another difficult obstacle for Liverpool to overcome.

Sign up to the Mirror Football email here for the latest news and transfer gossip.



Comments

0 comments

- Advertisement -

Latest Update

COVID-19: Akeredolu, deputy spar over handing over of governorship seat

The governor of Ondo State, Rotimi Akeredolu, and his deputy, Agboola Ajayi, have disagreed over running of the state’s affairs following the current...

Frank Lampard provides update on Willian’s future as contract talks rumble on

In-form Chelsea forward Willian’s contract talks are ongoing, Frank Lampard has revealed. The 31-year-old Brazilian agreed a short-term deal last month...

What should I do with old electronic devices?

I found laptops and cameras in a lockdown clearout and am wondering if they can be put to good useEvery week a Guardian Money...

Police rescue 10-year-old from guardian who inflicted bodily harm on her in Enugu

The Police Command in Enugu State has rescued a 10-year-old minor (name withheld) from a guardian who battered and inflicted grievous harm on...
- Advertisement -

More Post Like This

Comments

0 comments