South Korea mandates QR codes to log customers after nightclub coronavirus outbreak

- Advertisement -

Must Read

Anthony Joshua’s heartbreaking explanation for never allowing his son to box

Anthony Joshua is one of the most successful boxers in the world - but nothing is more important to him than...

Epsom Derby and Oaks tips: Vatican City and Love among Newsboy’s Saturday selections

VATICAN CITY is the answer to punters’ prayers in the Investec Derby (4.55) at Epsom today. Thanks to the coronavirus...

Man Utd transfer round up: Bennacer on radar as young Ghana striker is watched

Manchester United have been in imperious form since the Premier League restart. Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s side are unbeaten in 15 matches...

Chelsea transfer target Kai Havertz ‘can go this summer’ says Bayer Leverkusen chief

Chelsea transfer target Kai Havertz has an agreement with Bayer Leverkusen that he can leave this summer, according to the club's...
- Advertisement -


SEOUL (Reuters) – South Korea is testing a new quick response (QR) code system this week to log visitors at high-risk entertainment facilities, restaurants and churches in a bid to track coronavirus cases and prevent further spread of the disease.

The decision to mandate QR codes to register visitors’ identities came after authorities struggled to trace people who had visited a number of nightclubs and bars at the centre of a virus outbreak last month after much of the information on handwritten visitor logs was found to be false or incomplete.

Starting June 10, visitors to nightclubs, bars, karaoke clubs, daytime discos, indoor gyms that hold group exercises, and indoor standing concert halls, will be required to use any of a number of commercially available apps to generate a one-time, personalized QR code that can be scanned at the door.

Local governments may also designate other high-risk facilities such as libraries, hospitals, restaurants or churches.

The person’s information will be logged in a database kept by the Social Security Information Service for four weeks, before it is automatically deleted, according to South Korea’s Ministry of Health and Welfare.

Ahead of the rollout of the new system, the ministry is testing the system at 17 facilities, including entertainment spots, churches, libraries, restaurants and a hospital.

Some local governments have already implemented similar QR requirements after the nightclub outbreak, which led to at least 270 cases and raised fears of a second wave of infections.

Seongdong-gu, a district in the capital city of Seoul, established QR code systems at 172 facilities, according to the district office.

“I think customers feel safer as personal information is managed under the control of a government system, not individually by us,” said Cheon Min-woo, who manages an internet cafe in Seongdong-gu.

Shin No-ah, a 19-year-old university student who was visiting the internet cafe, said the system was convenient and it was worth the privacy trade-off.

“Regarding the privacy infringement issue, we just give our mobile phone number, so it is essential for government to trace coronavirus cases.”

Reporting by Daewoung Kim and Soohyun Mah; Additional reporting by Minwoo Park; Writing by Josh Smith; editing by Richard Pullin



Source link

Comments

0 comments

- Advertisement -

Latest Update

New Trump Appointee Puts Global Internet Freedom at Risk, Critics Say

WASHINGTON — When Michael Pack, a conservative filmmaker and ally of Stephen K. Bannon, recently fired the heads of four U.S. government-funded news...

‘Something’s got to change’: How the Vikings are pushing for social justice

Anthony Harris wrestled with the consequences of what he wanted to do versus the potential outcome.The Minnesota Vikings safety was on his way...

COVID-19: Akeredolu, deputy spar over handing over of governorship seat

The governor of Ondo State, Rotimi Akeredolu, and his deputy, Agboola Ajayi, have disagreed over running of the state’s affairs following the current...

Frank Lampard provides update on Willian’s future as contract talks rumble on

In-form Chelsea forward Willian’s contract talks are ongoing, Frank Lampard has revealed. The 31-year-old Brazilian agreed a short-term deal last month...
- Advertisement -

More Post Like This

Comments

0 comments