Suspected leader of online sexual blackmail ring exploiting dozens of women and girls named after millions sign petition

- Advertisement -

Must Read

Zinedine Zidane demands more respect after Real Madrid’s latest win

Zinedine Zidane has claimed it is unfair that Real Madrid are consistently being accused of benefitting from favourable refereeing decisions. Los...

Paul Pogba pokes fun at Josh King following Man Utd’s victory over Bournemouth

Old pals Paul Pogba and Josh King went head to head – almost physically – as Manchester United thrashed Bournemouth...

Mikel Arteta heaps praise on Arsenal quartet after impressive win at Wolves

Mikel Arteta hailed four of his Arsenal players after the Gunners' 2-0 win at Wolverhampton Wanderers on Saturday. In-form teenager Bukayo...

Jonathan Davies reveals source of inspiration to land rugby’s biggest selection gamble

Brian O’Driscoll and Jonathan Davies have relived one of the most controversial selection calls in rugby history to mark a year...
- Advertisement -

The alleged leader of an online sexual blackmail ring which exploited dozens of vulnerable women and girls has been named after millions signed petitions in South Korea.

At least 74 women, including 16 underage girls, were “virtually enslaved” for months, according to South Korea’s National Police Agency.

They were blackmailed and coerced by the group into sending videos of themselves performing increasingly degrading and sometimes violent sexual acts.


These were then posted to chatrooms on the encrypted Telegram messaging app, where some 10,000 people used cryptocurrencies to pay the group between £150 and £1,000 for access.

Police broke with policy to name the 24-year-old suspect Cho Ju-bin, after five million people signed petitions urging them to do so.

As public outrage reached critical mass over a culture which critics allege is lenient about sexual abuse and often fails victims, South Korean president Moon Jae-in was forced to intervene.

He called for a thorough investigation and – with a petition garnering two million signatures calling for the thousands of chatroom users to be named – stern punishment for all those involved in chatrooms.

Mr Cho is accused of luring victims with fake job adverts for modelling and escorting in order to solicit compromising photographs. 

These women and girls – many of whom had run away from home and used social media to trade online sex for money – were directed to a Telegram account which extracted their names, phone numbers, addresses, friend lists, and photos, which were then used to blackmail them.

Wearing a neck brace and handcuffs, Mr Cho – who allegedly uses the nickname “Doctor” – was paraded before reporters at a police station in Seoul before officers drove him to the prosecutors’ office.

Protesters swarmed outside the police facility, brandishing signs reading “from chatroom to prison” and “punish all users”, shouting: “Give him the highest penalty!”

“I apologise to those who were hurt by me,” Mr Cho said, but did not respond when asked by reporters whether he admitted to the charges. “Thank you for ending the life of a demon that I couldn’t stop.”

He is charged with violating the child protection act, the privacy act and the sexual abuse act, as well as abuse, threats, and coercion, according to police.

An alleged victim, who is still at school, described to South Korea’s CBS radio how she was told to send pictures of herself and at least 40 sexually abusive videos while looking for work online, according to the BBC. 

“He already had my face, my voice, my personal information,” the victim said. ”I was afraid that he would threaten me with that information if I said I would quit.”

Mr Cho allegedly operated one of the biggest chatrooms with around 10,000 users, and police are investigating whether he operated others.

Police told reporters that 124 suspects had been arrested and 18 operators of chatrooms had been detained since September.

Additional reporting by agencies



Source link

Comments

0 comments

- Advertisement -

Latest Update

Aces’ Cambage expected to miss WNBA season

NEW YORK -- Las Vegas Aces All-Star center Liz Cambage is expected to miss the upcoming WNBA season for health reasons, according to...

Covid-19 In Ghana: President Nana Akufo-Addo Quarantined

As a precautionary measure, the President of Ghana Nana Akufo-Addo has decided to isolate himself for 14 days following the appearance of at least...

Mikel Arteta leaves Mesut Ozil and Matteo Guendouzi in no doubts about their Arsenal futures

Both Mesut Ozil and Matteo Guendouzi remain in Mikel Arteta’s Arsenal dog house. The Gunners have won four...

Police confirm kidnap of Delta NLC Chairman

The police have confirmed the abduction of Chairman of Delta chapter of the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC), Mr. Goodluck Ofobruku, on Saturday night...
- Advertisement -

More Post Like This

Comments

0 comments